View Single Post
Old 4th April 2016, 02:36 PM   #13
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Thank you guys for your kind and wise considerations ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook
I note Fernando, that it has a sling loop, so a sling could pass around the body and over the opposite shoulder, in the same manner that a Royal Mail B-buss would be carried. Very useful on a coach or mounted on horseback.
If only it could talk!...
I don’t think the hanging loop was a for a formal shoulder ‘bandolier’; maybe for a belt hanging hook, so that you had your hands free. It could even be to hang the gun on the wall, when at rest. As you say, if it could speak …

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando K
Hello
Only to add that the screw that closes the jaws ends in a ring, common in Mediterranean locks
Affectionately. Fernando K
Gracias por la nota, Fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakethetrees
... A very nice weapon, and one that could easily find a home in my pile.
Considering you already have a pile, you don’t need this one more .

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
... About the stock- I'm assuming its 'wormy ash', based on the worm holes? Or do other woods get those pesky moth larvae as well. ...
Well captain, the collector fellow who sold me this piece is a timber man. He reminds that walnut is a rather wormy wood; of which potentially this stock was made of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook
...Has the barrel any proofs?
So far i don’t discern any proof marks, neither on the barrel nor in the lock, under the heavy patina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskender
gentlemen ; Sorry for calling my carbine a rifle as it has no rifling and that is a inacurat therm for it. .It is Just the fakt that in switzerland most of the men call every "rifle" that looks like a broomstick a " Flinte" even when it is a full auto assault rifle ! gretings iskender
Ah, the typology of shoulder guns. In my language they are generically called espingardas; an ancient type may be called mosquete, a later short one a carabina and the ones with flared muzzles (blunderbusses) are bacamartes.

Concernung the 'flinte' ... here for such attribution we call it pederneira (from the latin pretinariu- petrinu= stone) whereas the Spanish call it chispa (spark).
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote