View Single Post
Old 30th July 2012, 04:17 PM   #1
Mefidk

Default Two Arab ex-Enfield Pattern 1853 guns

Following on from a previous thread where we discussed the amount of guns that were made by recycling British army gun parts, here are a couple that basically recycled the whole gun. Hope you like them.

These are as they arrived to me, totally untouched, hence the rust which I, and the other new co-owner will no doubt remove as soon as we can. The guns started out life as Enfield P53 rifles but ended up in a Swedish diplomat's house in Saudi Arabia before coming to me. The stocks have been condiderably modified, especially the more decorated gun and the barrels have been bored out smooth. I do think the the barrels are original though because they are the regulation 39 inches, correct calibre and have all the proof marks and army stamps still visible. Ramrods are the originals as are trigger guards and locks. One lock is a Tower lock, Crown VR and dated 1855, the other needs cleaning before we can see if there is legible date, but it looks as though its got the crown at least, and I believe is the original lock.
The original guns should have had a ladder sight but these have been removed and a more traditional pinhole sight has been added.

Looks to me like the silver work is done by the same person, but not at the same time - or someone tried to copy the pattern on to the second gun, but stopped decorating once they got to the wood work. The gun certainly has been used though, so it was not that they just never finished and packed the gun away. Interesting that on this one the enlarged butt end is actually part of the old stock where they have cut the rest of the wood away. On the more decorated gun the enlargement is separate, and decorated with studs, a back plate, and what looks like animal teeth.

Chris
Attached Images

Mefidk is offline   Reply With Quote