Thread: New keris
View Single Post
Old 1st September 2005, 11:08 PM   #71
marto suwignyo

I wish to complement Pak Boedi upon his clear presentation of the view of the keris held by many students of the keris in today`s Java.

He has opened a window on a uniquely modern Javanese style of thought that reflects some of the traditional elements of Kebatinan that contribute to Javanese mysticism and philosophy as this has developed during the second half of the 20th. Century.

However, as Pak Boedi himself points out, the point of view which he has presented is a point of view that has evolved within a living culture.

Further, it is a point of view which is not universally held within the greater body of Javanese culture, and it does not in any way represent the demonstrable history of the keris within Javanese culture.

As I remarked in an earlier post:-
"As an icon of Javanese society the keris has also changed through the years , and because of its ability to change it survives today, and will continue to survive as long as it can continue to change to fulfil the needs of the changing society and culture of which it is a part."

Pak Boedi has demonstrated beautifully the element of change that has taken place in the position of the keris in a segment of present day Javanese society, and provided a strong case for the continued existence of the keris as a part of that society.

I complement and honour Pak Boedi and his associates for their contribution to the continued development of our dynamic culture.
marto suwignyo is offline   Reply With Quote