View Single Post
Old 29th December 2013, 12:33 AM   #5
jwkiernan

I originally posted this in the thread that spawned this thread.....

Here is my 2 cents on this topic...as a collector I focus on true antique weapons. I want them as original as possible (noting that variations/adaptations/additions added over the life of the weapon).
Now, with that said I know many folks that collect new pieces or recreations of old pieces (money concerns or personal preference for newer). Many of these pieces are made in the traditional manner using traditional means...I would therefore interject that a piece made with correct materials and made in a traditional manner would still be classified as a "true" albeit modern version.
Now where does that place blades that are produced for the souvenir or modern use trade? If using morphological standards alone and not material/manufacture as a means to define legitimacy of a weapon type then yes, they would be legitimate (note any wavy bladed knife, sword, or dagger being classified as a keris...same with barong, parang, bolo ect) albeit modern and not traditional.
I truly think that any weapon made with the correct materials should be referred to as at legitimate" but not antique. All others that fall into the correct morphological form and made of untraditional materials should just be classified as modern...most of these are made for the souvenir market, however many are being used by current practioners of traditional martial arts whom can not afford true antique weapons or do not want to chance damaging true artifacts...I refer to them as modern.
Technology has changed the process of how all things are made to one extent or another ie: the use of hand held grinders in keris making, air hammers for forging/folding ect.
Modern, modern/traditional, or antique, I think that is how they should be classified for what it's worth. May you all be blessed with a happy, healthy and prosperous 2014!
All my best,
John
jwkiernan is offline   Reply With Quote