View Single Post
Old 29th December 2014, 01:52 AM   #9
Robert
EAAF Staff

I have to agree with Detlef on this piece being from Bicol. Whether or not it was made for a serviceman or a local who either acquired an American made blade and had it fitted with a local hilt or just had a dagger made with this style of blade the piece as a whole I believe is from Bicol. There are many transitional edged weapons from the Philippines that do not follow the style of the more traditional pieces that everyone tries to reference back to when looking to identify them. Many Luzon pieces are a perfect example of this. Some of the daggers show so much Spanish influence in their overall appearance that they can be hard to distinguish from true Spanish pieces. Then add in the fact that the Philippine people of the time would often use items salvaged from different sources in producing edged weapons. I have a dagger where the ferules were made from Chinese thimbles and the blade was either made from a tri-cornered bayonet blade or just made to look like one. Another is a gunong with a blade shaped like one from a talibong. One more has a blade in the shape of a minisbad, but a clenched fist hilt and a blind tang. I do not believe Detlefs piece to be traditional one (other than the hilt), but more of a transitional or one off piece. One of the biggest problems is one that Detlef has tried to point out. What do the different types of traditional Bicol edged weapons look like, how many styles are there and where do you find references to them?

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote