View Single Post
Old 28th December 2014, 03:11 PM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Hi Detlef:

Apart from the carved dog (arso ?) head on the hilt there is little else to suggest a Bicol origin to me. The blade actually looks of European or US manufacture rather than Philippines, and the hilt (apart from dog's head) does not remind me of other bicolano knives.

Your example does not seem like a typical itak from Bicol. Perhaps a composite from a number of unrelated pieces?

Ian
Hi Ian,

thank you for comment. I based my attribution by the inaso hilt from horn. But agree with you that the blade seems to be a recycled US blade. Also the unusual eyes from screws (?) of Western manufacture let me think that this dagger seems to date from 1900-1945, maybe WWII area? For sure you are correct that it is not a typical Bicol dagger (BTW, how look a typical Bicol dagger? ). But again, would like to see more Bicol blades, sadly there is not much written/documented about Bicol blades. Think about how long it was needed to pin down the origin of the so called Minasbad, see here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...batangas+sword

Regards,
Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 28th December 2014 at 08:14 PM.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote