View Single Post
Old 4th November 2008, 09:09 PM   #23
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

More excellent observations Fernando, and I had thought also of the possibility of a serving knife, to which this does have some resemblance in degree. I also thought of the notes on either surgical instrument or veterinarian tool, and tried to think of possible comparisons. On fishing knives, there is a very nasty looking hooked type profile in the blade tip on
the back, which is colorfully termed the 'guthook'.

Despite these possibilities, the one feature that suggests the hunting association is that these blade markings with magical/talismanic and military style occur only on either hunting or military weapons. As far as I know, no medical, veterinary or surgical instruments carry such markings on the blades, nor of course do items of cutlery or serving implements.

Also, I am not aware of such instruments or serving cutlery typically mounted in scabbards.
The chain seems a decorative element, much as seen on ceremonial and parade swords in certain cases, and suggests possibly presentation, or diplomatic gift type item, as does the elaborate motif of the piece.

I like your thinking Fernando!! and like you, humbly present my thoughts. The more all of us bounce this around, the closer we get to an answer.
I wish I could remember where I saw a blade tip something like this..I think it was the falchion or something like it in Stone.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote