View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:41 AM   #38
Timo Nieminen

Here are my barong beyond the 2 in http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15389.

#3 is 565g, about 6mm thick near the hilt. Cuts very nicely. The grip is wrapped in cord (hemp?), going over part of the metal fittings. What sins might it hide?

#4 is 610g, about 6.5mm thick near the hilt. Blade has broad fuller (or should I call it hollow-forged?). Seems like a very heavy hilt. Just cleaned this yesterday; it was a little dirty when I got it (very recently).

The scabbard is in poor shape, with lots of splits in the wood along the grain, and the two halves mostly separate. But nothing missing, so just the kind of thing that would be "traditionally" fixed by wrapping with black electrical tape. A less Western solution would be rattan or hemp cord. Would need to lacquer (or some suitable glue). Is there any traditional of fabric wrapping?

Is #5 a barong? The blade has an asymmetric profile - the left side is flat, and the right side is convex. The blade is thin; just over 5mm at the hilt, but within a few centimetres, it thins to about 4.5mm.
Attached Images

Timo Nieminen is offline   Reply With Quote