View Single Post
Old 5th May 2015, 07:48 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Jim, It was a long time ago that I took up the problem of this sword and Gun mark and please see http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ttara+comments at post 176. I almost forgot what that problem was but it relates to swords with either that mark or a simplified cross appearing in Red Sea Areas sometimes rehilted on Omani Hilts but carrying this mark. Accordingly the mark is translated by Dom as meaning ...made by...(Amal)... and clearly with an Algerian link. I hope there is no derailment here as everyone can observe the amazing swordmark which is identical.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Good point, but don't think these observations will derail the thread as little further will develop concerning markings here. The idea was to determine if any connection to the distinct marking on this musket, using the marks on the analogous sword blade instances as examples.
Many times clues as to symbolism, purpose or meaning of marks and features on many weapons whether edged or firearms, are found in assorted material culture or items.
A mark occurring on a rug or coin might be informative in comparison to something seen on a particular weapon.....investigative research
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote