View Single Post
Old 21st September 2013, 12:51 PM   #6
CutlassCollector

This boarding axe turned out to have some interesting historical connections. The only other known example (so far) is in the Rijksmuseum, which retains the long handle but is almost identical to the one I have.
https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/NG-MC-734

I have had some correspondence with Mr J P Puype who believes that the axe in the museum was the sole survivor of a small group of axes made for the Amsterdam honour guard for the visit of Napoleon to Holland in 1811 - Holland was (briefly) part of France at the time. The axe is shown in a drawing taken from a book of the event.
Although, the marine curator of the Rijksmuseum agrees this is plausible and indeed the theory was first proposed by a Mr Kist from the museum, now deceased, they have no documentary proof. The navy records were not comprehensive when turned over to the museum in the mid 19th century and this axe was attributed to D. van den Bosch as a failed submission for navy service in 1831. Whether there was a mix up between two axes or this axe was both at the ceremony and submitted in 1831 is a mystery as is who designed the 1811 axe shown in the drawing.

I tend to agree with JP and Mr Kist the drawing of the axe is very similar to the axe in question and its features are markedly different to the French style of axe in service with the navy at the time. What do you think?
CC.
Attached Images

CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote