View Single Post
Old 8th March 2007, 01:32 AM   #9
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
I believe the hole positions look odd because the tang has ben shortened.

From what I hear, in the US Robert Benson is one of the best polishers. I cannot recommend him from personal experience, however, just suggest him by reputation. He ID'd my gunto (unsigned tang) to period & school, so I imagine he could tell you something about yours if you want to send it to him for evaluation. http://www.bushidojapaneseswords.com/

Am I wrong, or is it problematic to send nihon-to back to Japan? I thought they would be confiscated as contraband if not art swords (non-art swords are illegal in Japan), and confiscated as national treasures if they were. Great Catch-22 there.
hi Mark,
I agree with you, Mr Kenji Mishina told me that he do not put interest on WWII era sword. most japanese doesnt. they may consider it not worthy to be collected. finding real nihonto is quite difficult out side japan. since the japanese soldier once landed in Indonesia, so I though it might be some real nihonto left. mostly shingunto, but who know? I might get lucky and find a nihonto....most people who own japanese sword I ever met didnt allow me to open the tang. Judging from the sword it self seem almost impossible since those sword mostly in very bad condition, badly rust. and people here like their sword sharp, then they use sand paper or stone. very wrong move....

regards,
ferry
ferrylaki is offline   Reply With Quote