View Single Post
Old 19th January 2014, 06:38 PM   #115
AhmedH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Ahmed; Thank you for your post and kind words but you are the maestro on Islamic Swords ...
The Dancing Sword is certainly the gift item..I think I have an example of that being presented at #1... There is another example at #29 on The Omani Shamshiirs http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...8&page=1&pp=30 of an Omani Shamshiir going to the famous Stanley of Livingstone fame... and another of French provenance being presented on the same thread at #31

The Omani Dancing Sword, howver, is often the gift item at many differing levels in Oman these days...(since so many presentations are required there is a steady stream of new ones being made for that market..gilded, framed etc etc) and of course the Khanjar is a gift item as well... and again at all levels.

Execution swords...In the early 20s in Muscat they used a caged Lion to "recycle" second offenders for very serious crime. The lion lived in a cage inside the Fort Jelali prison walls and prisoners were chained to the outside for first offences ...hopefully the threat of being chained to the inside would deter them from recommitting the crime...but, apparently, not always ...

I have no evidence of a punishment sword but there must have been some ... perhaps the big heavy backbladed curved Kattara was used... I will find out.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Salaams Ibrahiim,

Thanks a trillion for your kind words!

So, the "Sayf Yamaani" was also used in diplomatic gifts? I mean the "war sword".

As for executions and other dismembering punishments (that could've involved the use of the sword), one needs to know the opinion of the Ibaadhi scholars regarding certain crimes and punishments. Also, whether these punishments were ever carried out, or were compensated by indemnities, jailing, flogging, or other forms of execution; like hanging. The date may start from 751 CE till 200 years ago. You see, there were many events and incidents one could read about, like: The punishment of high treason, kidnapping, desertion, etc. Also executing prisoners of war was known at that time. Yes, a single-edged sword; whether straight or curved, may have been the type of sword used in such occasions.

Please do not think I'm pushy or anything. I was just trying to broaden the spectrum of this very important topic.

Also, please forgive my bias regarding the Sayf Yamani at the expense of the Omani dancing sword (this is clear in my obvious interest); for the fact is that I'm addicted to the Sayf Yamani;-)

Best regards,
Ahmed Helal Hussein