View Single Post
Old 13th September 2013, 08:14 PM   #107
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordsAntiqueWeapons
I have no doubt swords were used in parade, danced and for salute etc in 1840.

I do however doubt the picture can quantify that these are flimsy dance swords alone, especially in the era of 1840 and that there are no other swords present in the image.

The practical flip side to your suggestion, after all 1840 was an era or practicality not excess, is that these are the fighting swords and bucklers used by these guard soldiers after the use of a rifle has past...after all there are no other swords pictured and these swords are in the hands and on the belts of these warrior guards.
What were they to do if they are guards and they can not defend because they have bending dance swords as a secondary defence after the rifle was shot and combat became close quarters... Surely not stop a threat with words...guards are meant to be at the ready at all times so it makes more sense that those pictured were their weapons as a guard would not be without an edged weapon in 1840.

Fighting swords that can equally be used to dance and pay tribute but by primary needs alone and the presence of no other swords, it makes more sense as guards have sword that work not dance with bends....

Gavin

Salaams SwordsAntiqueWeapons ~ You suppose an awful lot from a sketch.

You have to realise that this is the earliest document with a sketch I can dig up from any resource so far... I have no qualms about bringing this to table since it fits perfectly my description.

The huge historical mass of information I have built up is behind the real reason for the sword being carried ... what I have done is to prove the authenticity of the artist who has captured long haired tribals at Muscat... as known and titled Guards of The Immam of Muscat in 1841. I have illustrated similar tribals in the form of Ibn Gabaisha and bin Kabina who look remarkable similar in 1950. I therefor think that the illustrated sketch is authentic but of course it cannot be relied upon to speak... Its just a sketch.

I interpret it quite differently since I know that this sword is only and was only for Pageants and as described in the national archives and Museums as such. Not for fighting ... Pageants only. Quite rightly it is shown on guards of the Immam at Muscat. What is not shown are other blades or spears and other guns save what we see. No other written detail is available.

You are not the first to be hoodwinked by this sword... but by only taking it on at face value you have automatically fallen into the same trap as the 19th C. European visitors did.. into thinking like them, that this was a battle sword. It's not. It was only for Pageants.

Compouned in that mistake you have mistaken a recent rehilt as a battle sword version of this Pageantry item, however, that is shown as a souk mixture of a Red Sea Variant, tang extension, Omani scabbard and Omani long hilt. A (from) 1970 Muttrah Special.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.