View Single Post
Old 25th June 2019, 08:17 AM   #28
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfenoid13
Just because the blade is Damascus steel or wootz doesn’t mean it’s an antique piece. There are many bladesmiths in Syria and Turkey still make very good Damascus steel blades. I have to agree that this is a replica of a pala /kilic/shamshir. Definitely modern made. Have seen better ones new for sale in Turkey. If you like what you see and understand what it is yes you can still buy it but dont think it’s a 200 year old sword. Other than that yes well made blade
And the gold writings are not Ottoman.
No, there aren't ANY bladesmiths that can replicate the patterns of old wootz! Not a single one! And definitely not in Syria or Turkey.

The Georgian Zaqro Nonikashvili is arguably the best modern maker of wootz, but still his blades are quite far from the old wootz. The Russian Ivan Kirpichev comes close by, as there are a couple of Scandinavian smiths. There are a few lesser known Indian smiths who can make fairly good wootz but it is mostly of the crystalline type or sham. The same goes for the few American smiths.

I am quite positive this IS an old blade (significantly older than 200 years), and judging by its shape and decoration, I would dare to say it is around 300 years old.

And yes, the pattern of the wootz appears to be Persian (larger streaks of watering pattern as opposed to very fine streaks in Indian wootz). With quality etching it my reveal it to be Kara Taban or Kara Khorasan. A very, very high quality blade.

My two cents.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote