View Single Post
Old 11th June 2023, 09:45 AM   #21
A. G. Maisey

With the Yoso name, its as I said, he could have got it from anywhere, but it is not a family name, it is a professional name.

I seem to recall there was a split between Djeno's father & the kraton, & Djeno's "empu" designation was a popular one not from HB. I forget all the details of this, probably knew it once, but I've just about used up all the keris space available in my head. I guess a hereditary title makes sense in some sort of way, can't say I've heard of this, but I suppose it could happen.

My understanding of the "empu" or "mpu" designation is that it is an honorific of respect given by a ruler to a notable person, usually an armourer or a literary person. In the old days its use was more widespread and was just an honorific used for anybody notable for whatever reason.

However, it was/is possible for somebody to acquire the designation "empu" by popular acclaim. For example Pauzan Pusposukadgo was always referred to as empu, but although he was a part of the Surakarta hierarchy he would not accept the designation of "empu" from the kraton, his understanding of an empu was that an empu was able to bring life into a keris, and his strong religious faith made the very idea of this abhorrent.

Pauzan's preferred designation was "Pande Seni Keris".

We all might know "Pak Jimmy", but I'm afraid I cannot place the name, I might know him by some other name, but again, its as I said:- if he has written & published about keris I've probably read his writings.

The American gentleman to whom I referred has never --- to the best of my knowledge --- taken part in any online discussion of any kind, I regard him & his wife as good friends, but he keeps himself to himself.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote