View Single Post
Old 14th March 2019, 09:52 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoa
Of course your sword is a REAL fighting sword. The blade is probably from a "recycled" hussar (light cavalry) blade. The hole in the grip does not weaken it in any way. Virtually every single gurade/shotel/seif with buffalo horn hilt that I have seen/owned/have show the "hole". This question has been raised over the years a few times. Check old discussions. By the way, there is a LOT of info in old threads and it is worth the while to check that out. I believe it is a must for new members (or old members with new interests) to go back a few years and read all has been written on the subject.

Ron, I notice that you note the terms for Ethiopian swords in tandem gurade/shotel/saif and I recall not too long ago you pretty much clarified the proper terminology. Could you reiterate?

I had thought these with the horn grip were termed shotel, just as with the sickle bladed types, and that the gurade was a military/European style sword.

This was incorrect and I think you pointed out that 'gurade' was more a universally used term in Abysinnia/Ethiopia for sword. I cannot recall where the shotel term came in.

Interesting here as well, that buffalo horn was used in these hilts, and not always rhino, as again I had long thought. Always a learning experience here!! and Ron, you have always given us great insight in these things.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote