View Single Post
Old 21st April 2012, 04:41 PM   #14
Nathaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R
Hi Nathaniel, thanks,
I think your photo, pretty well confirms it. Nice piece, one of your own? Do you know what the grip is made of, and is the ferrule open at the blade end or closed....'cos now I have a hilt to make. Do you have pics of any others to share?
Hello David,

Sorry for the delayed response. Glad you liked the piece, unfortunately not my own, but maybe it's owner will be able to confirm the handle material, and ferrule construction....

As you can see with the above examples it could be either a pistol grip handle (with oval cross section) or a more straight handle (round cross section... possibly oval). In both examples the handle is more on the hefty side to match with blade. I've also seen some examples with a simple pommel cap.

The ferrule could be either open or closed...open is more common (the two examples in this thread appear to be open), but like on other SEA blades, the more fancy versions might have a closed ferrule. Another possibility I can thinking of other SEA blades is a metal disk of silver, brass or copper or even an old Thai coin.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote