Thread: New purchase.
View Single Post
Old 11th July 2012, 02:38 PM   #14
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G
David,

I agree with Atlantia. I think your knife would have been made, as it says, in India (but remember there wasn't a Pakistan then) during WW2, as a bowie knife, for sale to whoever wanted one. I have seen them about, and altho' dismissed by the "Sheffield" purists, are usually of good servicable quality

I have a similar knife showing western and north Indian traits made in Akyab in 1945.
Akyab is on the Arakan coast in Burma and when captured from the Japanese in 1945 was a significant staging post for the British, Indian and American air and land forces engaged in the later stages of the Burmese war. A possible scenario is that Abdul Qadar made this in a military workshop, as most of the materials are those you would expect from such a source, as a means of earning an extra bob or two from British or American officers. It is very sturdy and well made and wouldn't shame any officer.

Incidentally, the plan to capture Akyab was by seaborne landings preceded by arial bombardment. When intelligence was received that the Japanese had already absconded the bombing was cancelled, but the seaborne landings went ahead as they were considered a useful rehearsal for D-Day.
Regards
Richard

A BEAUTIFUL knife Richard.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote