View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2005, 09:32 PM   #29
wolviex

Arrow another examples

Hello!

It is always as you need something you just can’t find it. I thought I will be able to find more photos of blades presenting the fight of the Phoenix with the Dragon.

First sword (pallash) is from my Museum. This presented by Brian above is indeed in Wawel castle collection. My is rehilted in 18th century. Sorry for not the best pictures, but I had to get into the display case to made them, while the first one is from catalogue. I couldn’t made the entire blade, but on one of the pictures you’ll find there is an gold inscription running down below the fight scene.

Second sword is scanned from “Blankwaffen” by Heribert Seitz. It is from Bayerisches National Museum in Munchen (Munich), hilt is from 17th century, blade “Persian, probably from the 15th century”.

And the third sword , and actually only the blade, while the handle was not shown, but this is most probably the same sword as the second one, was published in “Prunkwaffen” by Johannes Schobel. It is most interesting, while he gave more space for description. And, I want to point it out, just as in my Museum’s example, you can see an inscription on the blade. And Author wrote about this sabre, in short: “Blade is double edged, with Arabic inscription and Persian writhen foliate decoration. The Arabic inscription [this is hard, text is in German, so it won’t be literally meaning, sorry for any mistakes and nonsenses ] ‘Oh! Sword you can belittle (sic?!) the Gods/Deities. The Garden of Victory spreads through your water. You are in blood–relation with Ali’s Sword’ (excerpt)
Blades of this type are usually described as Mongolian from 14-15th centuries.
Persian work with Mongolian influence, beginning of the 15th century
”.

For those who are laughing because of my translation, here is German translation of the Arabian inscription. If there will be any hints, please let me know, maybe I will be able to edit my translation and rescue my honour : “O Schwert, mögen durch dich der Götzenbilder sich verringern! Möge der Garten des Siegs durch dein Wasser gedaihen! Möge dein Bluntsverwandter das Schwert Alis sein!

Regards!
Attached Images

Last edited by wolviex; 22nd June 2005 at 10:22 PM.
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote