View Single Post
Old 17th December 2013, 09:37 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Actually I think the suggestions of Georgian influence are well placed here, as well as the nod toward Hyderabad. The Hyderabad work does often incorporate the rosette in a rather linear fashion with the repousse silver work hilt, and scabbard mounts.
It is important to note the predominance of Mughal courts in India, and profoundly of course in the north in areas now Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Mughal courts favored Persian and Sh'ia culture and of course they followed the Faith, and various kinds of birds were often in their decorative motifs.

The shamshir of course was one of the highly prized swords of the Mughal courts, and in Indian parlance they were termed 'tulwar' regardless that they were of course called differently in contexts outside the Indian sphere.

I am also curious on the block forte on what otherwise would be a regular wootz shamshir blade.

I am wondering if perhaps this might be a diplomatically oriented sword under British auspices in the Raj. The deviation in the cartouches, applied somewhat unusually it would seem, may indeed be Urdu, the lingua francia in the northwest regions as mentioned.

The birds are unique and need to look further into that as far as Mughal motif.
The use of brass is unusual and again ends toward possible western influence in the sword.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote