View Single Post
Old 15th December 2013, 03:21 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default An Odd Indian Sword for Identification and Comment

This is a very unusual Indian sword. The blade appears to be of mid-late 19th century manufacture and is made of very dark contrast wootz that creates a practically black blade. As far as I know this its original polish. The hilt is chiseled steel as are the baldric mounts and chape(restored). The chiseling is done in very deep/high relief with the raised areas gilded. I would consider the hilt to be of typical shamshir form with certainly Persian and perhaps European influences.

There are several unique features of the chiseling:

1. At first glance the motifs appear typically Indian but closer inspection makes me wonder if the rosettes aren't typically Indian, but the foliage(leaves and vines) look more European in style, in fact, practically Napoleonic!

2. Note the fighting cranes or herrons and the strange "droppings" trailing them...any ideas???...I'd like to think golden eggs, but it looks more like something else! I think these bird motifs are not so unusual on Muslim work, but why fighting and the rest?? Any ideas on the unique nature of this decorative motif???

The blade has been very well maintained. The fittings have as well, but the woven fabric covering has begun to dry rot and has had some minor restoration. It would seem that this sword simply sat somewhere unattended for a very long time.

Can anyone translate the cartouche???

I am looking forward to hearing any input about these unique motifs.
Attached Images

Last edited by CharlesS; 15th December 2013 at 04:24 PM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote