View Single Post
Old 19th October 2010, 06:02 PM   #13
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispn
Well I don't collect them and know almost nothing about them, but for what it's worth...

I find the form of yours very interesting. Maybe it's just me, but the precision of the fullers and execution of the blade seems almost mechanical to me. I don't mean that it is! Just that's the visual response it evokes for me. Not a negative thing at all, I very much like how clean the lines are.

The second thing I wanted to note, is how the fullers form the outline of a blade within the blade. By which I mean the outline of the blade is echoed by the fuller configuration. It's very attractive, in fact on your third picture from the top, I had a double take and was caught out wondering why the blade was surrounded by steel!

The hilt construction is also interesting. From the photos it appears that the slabs are held in place by pins that are also horn? I also wanted to ask if the raised little rib on the grip is integral to the horn slabs or a separate piece? If separate how is it attached?

A beautiful weapon. Many thanks for allowing even people like myself, with no knowledge about them, the chance to learn, even if just from the pictures alone.

Best,

Iain

Hi Iain,

Thanks for your kind words
I guess because of my way of collecting, I tend to only research weapons that I own an example of. That means that aside from a very basic knowledge of these, I know very little about their detail, because I've never actually owned one.
I've seen etched patterns in fullers on these blades before, and quite a few plain examples, but this has been the first I've seen offered that had a price that seemed reflective of its quality, and was nice enough to tempt me, because of its twisted star pattern to lay out what eventually amounted to 40 hours wages!!
the hilt studs and central 'boss' are iron. They are just well patinated.
I see what you mean about the shape of the fullers |Thanks for poiinting it out.

best
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote