View Single Post
Old 19th October 2010, 04:08 PM   #12
Iain

Well I don't collect them and know almost nothing about them, but for what it's worth...

I find the form of yours very interesting. Maybe it's just me, but the precision of the fullers and execution of the blade seems almost mechanical to me. I don't mean that it is! Just that's the visual response it evokes for me. Not a negative thing at all, I very much like how clean the lines are.

The second thing I wanted to note, is how the fullers form the outline of a blade within the blade. By which I mean the outline of the blade is echoed by the fuller configuration. It's very attractive, in fact on your third picture from the top, I had a double take and was caught out wondering why the blade was surrounded by steel!

The hilt construction is also interesting. From the photos it appears that the slabs are held in place by pins that are also horn? I also wanted to ask if the raised little rib on the grip is integral to the horn slabs or a separate piece? If separate how is it attached?

A beautiful weapon. Many thanks for allowing even people like myself, with no knowledge about them, the chance to learn, even if just from the pictures alone.

Best,

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote