Thread: Tenegre
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2011, 01:44 PM   #19
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Hello Detlef, In answer to your questions, IMHO I do not think that this ever had a guard. Looking at the lower side of the blade you can see that it has been notched to fit inside the ferrule. That way when you go to reset the blade you will know how far into the hilt to set it. I agree with Kai that the blade looks like it was " just sloppily fitted" after the hilt was either replaced or had loosened and was just poorly reattached with a modern adhesive. As far as the brass fittings, I have been told that it is better to leave brass alone unless it is showing green oxidation. On cleaning the blade, if you are going to etch it I would say yes, if not I would just give it a light cleaning, oil it, wipe off all of the excess oil and apply a coat of ren wax. I hope that this is of some help.

Robert
Hello Robert,

thank you for the comment. Like I write before I will dismantling the handle next time and etch the blade before I attach the handle again. The brass fittings I will let alone for the moment since I like the patina and don't want to bring the sword to a unused look.
I will post pictures when I have done the work.

Best regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote