View Single Post
Old 19th August 2008, 04:59 PM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This was really an interesting topic, and the lohar a quite unusual weapon (despite all the discussion on candy picks etc.).
On the fixed blade example posted by Bill, I just noticed there are red dots placed on the motif, though they seem indiscriminate in number. As I mentioned some time ago on another thread, and in this thread, the mysterious cult of the Thuggee used a small pickaxe with considerable ceremony in thier depradations. Although I have never found evidence of any of these Thuggee pickaxes ever having survived after the presumed suppression of the cult, the contemporary narratives occasionally mention that there were seven red dots strategically placed on the head of the axe.

I wonder of the red dots on Bills lohar might have any connection ? It seems that red often appears highlighting symbolic motif on sacrificial weapons in India and Nepal, and I am wondering about that symbolism as well.

Anyone have thoughts or observations on the red dots or use of red coloring on ceremonial weapons?
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote