View Single Post
Old 6th January 2008, 05:29 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

As Tim has noted, the interpolation of implement or tool and weapon has existed from time immemorial, and each has found use as the other in countless examples.
I'm really glad that Bill has posted this interesting example of the elusive item termed the 'lohar'. Over many years, as many discussions have failed to make any determinations on the history or actual use of these unusual pickaxe type items. The only real reference to them is the now venerable chestnut from Stone:
"LOHAR: A small pick used in the place of a sword by the Banochie, a Khyber tribe. Each man makes his own and decorates the handle with inlays of silver and brass. Each individual has his own patterns which differ from those used by others, though all are similar". (pp.418-19)

Actually the term 'Banochie' refers to the Bannuchi, a tribe who were among earliest inhabitants of the Bannu District now part of Pakistan in Northwest Frontier province. These regions, as most will probably agree, reflect intense geopolitical and tribal flux that has continued for more than centuries, and the term Bannuchi is broadly applied to many of the tribal people in these regions. Locally of course, ancestry is recognized more specifically and to descent from specific tribal progenitors.

I believe that the early forms of these 'lohar' were small, fixed blade weapons that recall other hafted weapons such as the Indian zaghnal, which quite plausibly may have descended from early forms of Chinese dagger axe. These weapons of course were among the considerable elements of culture that diffused to the west along the Silk Road.
The early Bannuchi were eventually a pastoral people, and inhabited regions near Kurram and Tochi rivers, and with this of course suggesting use of implements that might be of this form. As is often the case, and as previously noted, weapons are often designed from tools or agricultural implements, as thier effectiveness in form is typically established by thier opportune use for both. Perhaps, the weapon form of such an implement might have been fashioned to be used as a weapon, and with the emphasis on the geometric symbolism, there may have been a ceremonial application as well.

The term lohar has often come to mind as well, and actually comes from a Hindi term for iron, as this group of people are itinerant blacksmiths of these regions. It would seem quite possible that these smiths, who are known for repairing and making agricultural implements, may well have been the source for the 'lohar' term in these small pickaxe form weapons. To me, it would seem unlikely that all individuals of a tribe or group would have the tools, skills or means of fashioning and decorating these items as suggested by Stone. They might however, commission such axes to be made by the Lohar, and as commonly seen, the term became vernacular for the weapon.

As for the use of these axes, I would suggest that they may well have been used as weapons in the 19th century, and as Stone has noted, in lieu of the sword. Ordinary tribesmen typically had no means for owning such weapons as swords, and since they could not easily conceal them, nor the skills in swordsmanship, they probably preferred a weapon they were comfortable and confident in using. The shape of this bladed axe would lend itself well to the penetration of the thick folds of the turban, as well as the grim thought of hamstringing of either mounted horsemen or thier horses. I do not think these were a widely used weapon form, as they obviously are not represented in armouries, nor have they been noted in the narratives as far as I know.

The more modern examples of the lohar, which seem consistantly to be of the folding form as seen here, are as noted in previous discussions, unlikely for use as weapons. As always, surely they could be used as such, but seem intended more for utility. The motif seen on these seem to typically carry certain geometrics, particularly the circled dot, well known on ivory or bone grips of weapons in many Central Asian regions, especially Afghanistan. It seems this simple form is of course well known in other spheres as well, but not quite as consistantly as the Afghan and NW Frontier regions. The repeated 'X's and the + are motifs that represent typically the four cardinal directions, and the combinations of these and other symbols and motif are more likely to represent either amuletic or other traditional meaning than applying to individuals.

I hope that this review of my personal observations and opinions on these curious weapons will be of interest, and as always, I look forward to those of others.

With all best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote