View Single Post
Old 29th April 2005, 10:31 PM   #32
Kiai Carita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Gentlemen:

Like so many of our discussions of keris, this one is straying into metaphysical areas and conjecture. We seem to wandering off the original topic posted by VVV.

I would also remind folks this Forum asks that we remain respectful and civil in our exchanges with other members. Some of our past keris discussions have become heated and personal, with people taking offense.

Ian.
Ian a keris is a metaphysical object more so than it is a physical object so wandering into the metaphysical is the nature of any discussion on keris.

I do not think that using quotes from an ancient racist monk, who saw the highly civilized Javanese as demons and uncouth, without pointing out that these monks had a racist bias and did not even bother to find out the name of the object they were describing, is respectful. On the contrary it is very racist and I am very shocked that this forum feels that it is scientific to tout racist statements as evidence of the keris being a weapon to kill in Java. Also according to the scientific evidence on the stone reliefs of Loro Jonggrang the keris was created by monkeys and copied by the Java Mpus who were stupider than monkeys. I do take offence when people divorce the Java keris from it's cultural context because I am Javanese, albeit a post modern one, one who is not afraid to state my mind and place high value on the knowledge of my society and my fore-fathers, higher than the colonial pseudo-science being used to rob the people of Java from describing their own spiritual weapon.

Salam Keris