View Single Post
Old 14th May 2005, 08:24 AM   #7
wolviex

I’m sorry Jim for my absence last time. It seems to me that lately some interesting threads have stucked and I have a feeling of some kind of crisis lately here on Forum.

With all respect, without acting as an expert which I am not, I can hardly agree with theory of some influences or similarity of ancient Greek helmets and those from Sind. It is more like a feeling, than a research conclusion, but: looking at the construction of this helmet we have to know that it was constructed that way for maximum protecting for the face, with simultaneous giving for a warrior a little comfort in hard and hot climate. That’s why these helmets were still improved and were changing. I can agree of course that ancient Greek, Alexander the Great, etc. could have inspire all world including Asia, but this helmet, in my opinion, is not a good example. Construction is much different. It is nearer to the much later Turkish helmets and Polish zischagge with its nasal and “half-open” view for a face. If we will think that way we should find that medieval helmets covering all face are much more similar to those from India with masks. First of all we have to find an answer for the basic question. What for is face-like mask, or with some similarity to the face. First of all, mask is for protection. Just like visors in European helmets. But this could be anything without marked eyes, mouths and attached nose which are sometimes more decorated and grotesque then useful during the fight. These ones were made to express something. First of all, to create psychological effect, like fear. I don’t know nothing about Japanese helmets, but isn’t it that’s why they are using all these masks with terrible grimaces? Second option is to create some kind of aura around warrior with mask. Take a look at 15th century Persian or Tartars masks. Many of them are made of gold and are beautifully carved, with realistic face expression. They’re called “war masks” so if they were in use not for parade but for a battle, then only for psychological effects, because good protection they are not.
It seems to me, but I might be wrong, that masks from Sind seem to be some kind of outcome of the different influences. They are both: decorated, face-pretending, grotesque or beautifully made and at the same time quite useful, relatively safe and with all discomfort typical for every face covering… quite comfortable.
I’m not prepared to give any conclusion. Maybe someone who has made some researches around masks should give it to us, anyway this is quite interesting and complex problem. In general: masks are visible on Greek cavalry armours, and then on Romano-Syrian helmets, as Robinson wrote (Oriental Armour, 1967, p.73) with similarity to those used by gladiators. Persian king Khusru II was using the helmet with mailing covering all over the face. Elements of such mail protection and elements of face-like masks seem to be both visible in Sind helmets. Then we can see beautiful face-like masks on Tartar’s and Persian helmets (15th cent.). But of course this is only for short. Someone with greater knowledge about armours should get all of these and complete it with reliable sources and give us conclusion. As Jim is used to saying: “there is more research needed!” .

I’m sorry for a messy writing but I live in hurry lately.

Regards!

Photos: mainly scans from Robinson's book "Oriental Armours" plus Sind helmet from Museum (if someone forgot what about we are talking here)
Attached Images

wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote