View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2017, 06:04 AM   #33
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent
Don't get too caught on about the thick and thin tangs that you presented and I think thick and thin would also need to be quantified.
There is certainly age between the examples presented here but the tangs on those noted as thick are not actually seen, what is seen is a grip strap.
With consideration to weapons typically found with grip straps, Kilij, Yataghan, Khyber knives etc, for the most part, the grip slabs are pinned through the tang but sit well clear of the tang and the tangs on these weapons are no thicker than any other weapon of the time place or period.
I am certain there are variances in thickness with age, but I do not believe it is all that vast at all.

Gavin
Gavin, maybe I should have said that I have never seen a tiger tooth jambiya without a grip strap that had a wootz blade, I believe that the examples I posted that I described as being "thin" have no grip strap. You have certainly seen more examples than I have, do you remember ever seeing one of the lower quality ones with a wootz blade?
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote