View Single Post
Old 17th July 2011, 02:59 PM   #3
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
Hi Gene,

The good thing to start with is that is preserved in untouched and unspoilt condition.

If it were mine I would dismantle it and clean each part separately. For the iron surfaces I recommend 000 steel wool soaked with oilve oil, and gentle rubbing. Check every few seconds so that no irreversible damage will occur. For the brass parts I would use one of the many brass polishing lotions available everywhere and rub with a soft cloth. Still I would prefer not to let it get too shiny and look new.

Personally, I would not clean the wood, just polish it litghly with a hard cloth (linen, e.g.). This way, the charming surface of old would stil be preserved, without looking 'dirty' and seedy.

Let us know the resullt!

Best,
Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks you for coming into this so quickly. As you can see, this poor gun has some condition issues at the moment. Its parts are either loose or siezed, the bolt heads have worn and rounded slots, and of course there is a lot of rust and accumilated surface encrustation that may or may not hide serious damage.
I'm nervously keeping my fingers crossed on this one Michael, as I've wanted a big flintlock pistol for a very long time.
I just never get offered them at a good price!
This one was a bargain even with the condition issues, so I'm just hoping that it is salvagable to a reasonable standard.

I've cleaned the frizzen spring which had plenty of hard rust and rubbish caught in it, then opened the frizzen to clean the flash-pan.
The frizzen and spring are in good order under the dirt and rust. There is also a strange repeating geometric pattern between the frizen spring and cock. I won't test the mainspring if I can help it until I can remove the entire lock and check its condition from the inside.

There is just over 3 inches of the ramrod remaining

I'll post a picture in a little while of the outer cleaning of the lock.

Best
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote