View Single Post
Old 8th October 2021, 07:46 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster5sqn View Post
Jim, that's an interesting hilt. I notice that the side bars have been lowered to the underside of the pommel to allow better wrist extension in the thrust.

Does anyone know just how early this feature came in? I have heard it referred to as a primarily 19th centaury innovation when British Military Swordsmanship became one discipline encompassing broadsword, spadroon and sabre under a single system as championed by Rowath etc.

Robert

Ive been trying to determine more on these fencing circumstances, and while I was aware of the sword exercises for the cavalry of 1790, I had thought these carried well into the 19th c. These were of course based on 'cuts' and numbered.
Egerton (1885) notes that all sabre, spadroon or rapier play obviously being cut and thrust derives from the principles of small sword fencing, but that his investigations only carried to the last years of the 18th c. when most of the traditions of the fencing art were 'forever abandoned'.
He notes that 'some' improvement in theory at least, had been made in this (19th) century however.

From what I could find on Roworth, this name is believed to be C. Roworth who was associated with John Taylor, who was the purported author of "The Art of Defence on Foot with the Broadsword and Saber".(1804)
It is said he was the printer , but some think he was the author.

"...the Taylor-Roworth manual includes a special CUTTING method not found in other broadsword manuals. This method invlolves moulineting from one cut to another in a continuous pattern. However the Taylor-Roworth manual is NOT strictly intended for use with the basket hilted broadsword and its primary purpose was really to apply the traditional broadsword method to the newer military saber. This cutting method is easier and less awkward with a saber rather than a basket hilt. According to the author, this method was ' not practiced or taught as a necessary part of the science of broadsword".
"Lessons of the Broadsword Masters"
Christopher Scott Thompson , 2016, p.197

These basket hilts ceased use ostensibly by 1790, and mine and several others did seem to have been refitted with 1788 sabre blades. It seems certain that these would not have been for use with cavalry units, but does seem possible for NCO's or officers in flank companies.

It is interesting that broadsword methods were apparently being regarded as applicable to use of the saber, perhaps here we are seeing the two brought together ?
It does seem however that the systems focused on cutting, so I would expect that provisions for thrusting were not included, at least as far as I can determine at this point.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote