View Single Post
Old 29th September 2021, 01:01 AM   #39
A. G. Maisey

All this is true Ariel, but for my area of interest history is only one aspect, and it is not particularly reliable for the areas I have an interest in. Much of the so-called "history" for Jawa, Bali, & Indonesia in general is not a true reflection of reality.

I do believe that it is necessary to get a really good understanding of society, and this should ideally include grass roots & a couple of levels above that, so rural village, urban poor, educated middle class, elites. I have been very fortunate in that I have been able to associate closely with people from all these levels of society over a forty year period.

With language I am also fortunate, because every day I use Javanese (ngoko), Bahasa Indonesia, and a couple of Javanese dialects. This use is not artificial, without it I would go hungry.

Living in Jawa/Bali society has been something I have been able to do for around 3 months every year since 1982.

Collection as such can encompass many variations, it is only when pure collection moves past the physical object that the deeper understandings become necessary.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote