View Single Post
Old 14th February 2018, 10:38 AM   #24
Madnumforce

Yes, it's relatively frequent to see agricultural or woodworking tools sold as weapons on auction sites, but also in legitimate auctions, and even displayed as such in museums. Not only is there a deep ignorance about tools, but there even is a will not to know anymore. Most often, the tools sold/displayed have typical 19th century features like maker stamps and such, which would immediately give them away to any even mildly experienced tool collector enthusiast.

Now about the fact that some tools could be used as weapon: sure! But as I just wrote, many of these tools are from the 19th century, or even early 20th, so these specific ones have a near zero chance to have ever been used in a military context. In some local riots, to let your neighbour know that he had his cattle grazing into your meadow one time too many, or to teach a lesson to that guy who kissed your girlfriend at patron saint ball, yes, surely.

But as the "peasants" using them did not really care about them that much (they wouldn't have wanted to lose it or have it stolen, but if it broke or they knew they wouldn't have any more use of it, they could have it recycled in a hammer, a plowshare, whatever), and because historians, archeologists and curators almost don't care about tools, and their collecting value is much lower than that of weapons (while they need as much maintenance and care), there really is a difficulty to try to reconstruct the evolution of some specific kind of tools. The coupe-foin, coupe-marc and taille-pré are among those tools we have no clue if they even existed in the 18th century, for example, or what shape they were, etc... There may be some surviving specimens somewhere, in some private collection, or hung to a wall. The trouble is the scarcity of the data, how few people are interested in collecting it, and how scattered the knowledge is. Peasant life left very very few traces in iconography and literature.

Recently, I was thrilled because I have found a picture of a very well preserved 11th century capital, showing two peasants fighting each other with a billhook, for a period we have near zero iconography, and which specimens are completely overlooked by archeological research. We know relatively well what Roman era billhooks looked like, simply because the period raises much interest and despite the archeologists' lack of interest for tools, they still include them in their reports among the various metallic (s)crap they find. We of course have catalogs from the early 20th century, and many surviving examples from the 19th century, some of the 18th and 17th, but very few data in between (except when it comes to vine cultivation, as it was seen as something of interest by the ruling/educated class). So this capital was rather exceptional, especially in this mind-boggling state of preservation (it had been re-used in the building of a wall, sculpted face facing inward, and this is what preserved it).

Also, a picture of the only coupe-marc I have. Overall head length 55cm, blade lenght 41cm, blade width 11.5cm, and average blade thickness varies along the lenght, but starts at around 5mm if you exclude the transitional zone with the socket, and the weight of the head is a tad under 2kg. I would say it's a bit too heavy to make a good poleweapon, and it lacks a thrusting point, but if nothing else was available, it surely would be more than enough to split someone's head to the teeth without even forcing. Oh, just to make it clear: the edge is on the convex side of the blade, the concave side is the spine.
Attached Images

Madnumforce is offline   Reply With Quote