View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2023, 04:05 AM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
G'day Jim,
I have also wondered about Masonic connections with some sword decoration from the period.

The 1796 ladder hilt in the comparison photo I posted above was sold in a Wallis and Wallis sale in 1972. It is described thus "pierced honeysuckle guard", so the term was in use at least as far back as that.
Cheers,
Bryce

Hi Bryce,
Pretty sure John Wilkinson-Latham used the term in 1967 in his book, and if I recall he was profoundly influenced by Charles Ffoulkes who wrote in 1938, so hard to say just when the term entered the British arms lexicon.
Again, I had one of those ladder hilts years back, should never have let it go!

With the number five, it was both a sacred and mystical number well known in Freemasonry, and followed by the numbers 3 and 7. In the French versions of the beaded hilt some had seven beads.
As mentioned, and piquing my curiosity is the number 3 and the latter F seemingly randomly placed on the blade of my lionhead dragoon officers sword.
With the seal or star of Solomon on Wilkinson swords, I was assured by Mr.Wilkinson-Latham it had nothing to do with Masonry, but the ancient symbol of interlocking triangles. This use of ancient symbolism was of course inherent in Masonic doctrines.

Best,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 23rd October 2023 at 04:24 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote