Thread: one more keris
View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:05 PM   #29
A. G. Maisey

Thank you very much for your prompt and informative response, Brekele.

So, we can take "gabilan" as the Madurese equivalent for "gayaman".

However, this raises for me the question as to why prior to 1995, my enquiries in Sumenep and Pamekesan indicated that the Javanese wrongkos that I know as gayaman were also identified by Madurese people as gayaman, but the heavily carved form such as was on display in the kraton musium was identified as gabilan. This was between 15 and 25 years ago, and at that time, most of the people I spoke with were not young men, but people of around my own age, or perhaps a little older, similarly, 15-25 years ago the plethora of keris books that have now flooded the market, did not exist.

In my previous post I mentioned the brahmana rsi form.

Do you know this form?

Moving to the ladrangan form.

You have shown two forms of ladrangan wrongko, each with a further classificatory name. This seems to indicate that the classification of "ladrangan" is still alive and well in Madura, and if this is so, then why do we now so often see these Madura ladrangans described as "daunan"?

The ladrangan from timoho, that you identify as ladrangan sukun was identified by several informants in Madura, pre-1995, as capu kagok. Incidentally, has the daun on this warangka been shortened because of repair? Proportion is is not good. Or is this a photographic distortion?

Rick, "ampas jagung" is actually more than just "corn cob". "Ampas" means waste or residue after all the good stuff has been removed, jagung is the corn, so ampas jagung is the corn cob that has been stripped of its seed.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote