View Single Post
Old 28th April 2021, 04:45 PM   #16
Victrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHorsa View Post
I was always assuming that the helmets with the higher calottes (like the one in the link of my last entry) where more early (around 1630). But that means, that also earlier helmets have "medium high" calottes. Am I right?
I think generally the less standardized looking Austrian zischägges tend to be earlier, and that includes the ones with higher calottes. In Peter Krenn’s excellent “Imperial Austria, Treasures of Art, Arms & Armour from the State of Styria” he writes of a new arms boom starting in 1619 when Gabor Bethlen Prince of Transylvania rose and marched on Vienna. The Styrian government then stocked up on arms based on the then modern Western European and Dutch models, based on the military reforms of Prince Maurice of Orange. The new designs became known from a drill book by Jacob de Gheyn, which illustrated the new fashionable arms in detail and inspired the local arms industry in Graz. Your helmet seems to be the “modern” style from this time which explains why they are virtually identical with Northern European and Dutch specimens.

That’s a very nice helmet by the way. I love that glint of steel. Do the neck lames articulate or are they fairly rigid?
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote