View Single Post
Old 28th August 2016, 03:17 PM   #6
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Hi Rick,

Well, first your pistol is just gorgeous. I love it.
Is it silver? It's a type that i wish to have.... Especially in such good condition.
Second, I don't think that your pistol was really done for the Greek taste.
When you look at old engravings and paintings of Greek uprising, or Elgood book, you can see a lot of Balkans / Ottoman weapons, swords, rifles and pistols. And I have no doubt that Greeks use your kind of pistol. But for me a Greek pistol is more like the one of Corona...
I shouldn't write for the Greek market but more for the Greek taste...
What our Greek friends think???

Kubur
Hi Kubur.

Yes, the stock is one piece silver. The lower grade, which the proper name escapes me at the moment. In the photos the pistol needs a bit of a cleaning. But it's hard to clean and keep it that way.
I hesitated to post this pistol since reference material from Elgood, Tiri, etc. point to this style to the close proximities of Greece, namely Montenegro and other contingent locations. But I remember other references "loosely" calling these Greek pistols. But I've never thought this correct. I don't think it's ever really been confirmed which market these "spiked" silver pistols were directed towards. Maybe other Forum members have better information.
Anyway, I don't want to deter from your Thread any more than I have already. LOL
IMHO the pistol posted by Corrado26 is a textbook example of a Greek, or made for the Greek market pistol. And a beautiful one I might add. Wish I owned it.
As you mentioned, while not rare, the Greek pistols (and even the Palaskas and Suma Rods) tend to bring higer collector prices - often considerably more - than their typical Ottoman counterparts. It seems when they are offered for sale, they show up at the higher-end auction houses such as Christies, etc.
I hope we see some additional pistols posted to this Thread. I would be anxious to see them.

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote