View Single Post
Old 7th June 2006, 07:47 PM   #6
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

After Battara's observation, i did some web search under his appointed area and eventually found out the etching on the blade is an inscription in Farsi, entangled with a Snake.
I have just received it, and now i need further kind help.
Two vital questions remain unclear to me:
Would it be a Cavalry ( Persian Lancers ) or an Infantry pattern? It measures 45 cms. ( 18" ), blade and socket + - equivalent.
The other problem is i don't get to know the material of its inexistant haft, as i allways strugle to imagine an entire weapon's aspect. I have read that it could either be cane or wood, in the period context, but i can't judge for myself. I wonder if the type of socket is decisive for such conclusion. This one has a narrow entry ( 20 m/ms= 3/4" ) and a much pronounced tapering ... to 10 m/m= 5/16" at the end. This would require a spicky sharpened haft tip; maybe cane, at least hollow cane, would crack ... But above all and, for my layman's surprise, there isn't any hole in the socket for the haft fixation ! How come ? Were sometimes Spear hafts "glued" or "swallen" inside sockets ? would that be enough ?
Could any of the Forum Members give some lightning in these subjects?
Thanks a lot in advance.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote