View Single Post
Old 18th November 2010, 04:46 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

A most interesting example of Sudanese sa'if which I agree seems earlier than those typically found, and I'd like to hear more on the crossguard section as representing earlier forms, and if possible some comparison to the more common types.

These markings are indeed unusual, and I have honestly never seen these used together, nor in such unusual configuration. The twig/fly marks were of course known to be used in various configurations on Italian sword blades, often later copied in Germany, but they seem relatively uncommon on blades of native manufacture.

The use of the Star of Solomon is also extremely unusual, and in this context may have associations in degree with the other marks. The twig marks are connected by a rocker or 'eyelash' which is as noted representative of a scale.
The scale, or al Mizan, is an important element of Islamic Faith and representative of balance. The character of balance would appear to be emphatically indicated with not only parallel scales with the twig marks,
but the twin six point star stamps beneath.
It seems important to note also that the six pointed star or hexagram is also representative of two interlocked triangles, and used in many cultures symbolically. In these perspectives, the symbol often also represents balance and harmony.

I have always considered that the application of the double crescent moon marks (dukari) were placed in that configuration as representative of cosmic symmetry, which has been an important element in religion in so many aspects, even into superstitions found in folk religions in tribal cultures.

It would seem that markings incorporating these symmetrical values and using symbols effectively representing balance in these senses would be well placed on a sword blade.

The Star of Solomon was well known in Islam, and was often used in Ottoman principalities, such as in regencies in Tunisia and Algeria in the 16th century and of course certainly beyond. As it is known that many blades entered the North African trade sphere in these regions, perhaps the star had become a known stamp or talismanic mark as well as possibly makers mark in later times. As attached, the star was used in Morocco on coins in the 19th century.

Best regards,
Jim
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote