View Single Post
Old 15th November 2010, 07:26 PM   #6
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikscollectables
Most Aceh shields in brass are the later ones that never have been used. The real brass ones are as diffucult as the rattan ones but maybe a little less populair among collectors (probably because of the amount of later brass ones)
I have two of the real old brass ones, made for war, and not those which pop up regularly and are also old, but made for tourists.
When seeing and holding the real ones next to the touristic ones, you can feel the differences easily.
The old "non touristic" ones are much heavier and also very plain, and not that ornamented as the touristic ones!

By the way I have crossed more ratan atjeh shields as brass "non touristic" ones..

Nice to know is that the old brass ones that were found in the Nijmegen museum, and all came from important knil people and old collections, are all plain. There is not one to be found that is decorated in the front, so this has to be the proof that those ornamented brass ones are touristic pieces.
Also I have never seen old pictures of Atjeh warriors with an ornamented brass peurise holding.....

Nice image Erik! You have the best Atjeh stuff around!

Kind Regards,
Maurice

Last edited by Maurice; 16th November 2010 at 12:58 PM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote