View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2007, 10:54 AM   #5
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Antonio,
This is nice clean work. It does look Japanese. I now have this feeling that we have recently been looking at objects from two extremes. Offerings from the fantasist and the ergonomic product designer. Is it possible to capture that immediate cultural response with all the associated baggage? Court or bonded labour tradition? The village or less governed rural peoples interpretation often imitation of the former? Is there a place for the contemporary? Excluding state paraphernalia and militia is it for combat or fantasy?
Hi Tim This is what I would call ethnic appropriation and stylizing resulting from hybridation to answer some specific needs in imaginary combat.
While kitsch is always associated with bad taste and appropriation of forms and shapes without having the cultural background for it, I think I have been personally exposed to both Thai culture to some degree as well as antique dha which leads me to think that it isn't kitsch.

No Court tradition but something designed bearing in mind usage of said item, mainly the ability to strike and disarm with both ends without removing the blade. So the answer is "combat". Then... once it is made it is not in the realm of fantasy, which is in fact to fantasise about some sword.

Did I make sense?
Antonio Cejunior is offline   Reply With Quote