View Single Post
Old 9th July 2019, 11:01 PM   #45
A. G. Maisey

Thank you for your response Kai.

Yeah, the idea of "interpretation" attached to the translation of "lapak" did not sit well with me, because my understanding of the word "interpret" was not as broad as I have now found it should be: my understanding was too narrow, your understanding was more correct.

It is actually quite fortunate that you used this word "interpretation", because the variation in the way in which we both understood the word, as well as the fact that you are not a native English speaker, I am a native English speaker, and my ability to write clear and precise English has in fact been a mainstay of my income stream during my entire life.

In other words, it doesn't matter how good one thinks he is, how correct he thinks he is, he can always be wrong. Just like the person who gave us "saddle stone" for "batu lapak", whoever that person may have been.

We have created an excellent example that supports the way in which "batu lapak" should be understood in this context.

When there is any doubt about the use of a particular word in English, my first check is almost invariably with the Oxford on Historical Principles; during my lifetime I've worn out one edition of two volumes of this, and I'm well on track to make the replacement copy unusable. Oxford gives "interpret" as "expound, translate, explain" --- as well as a full column more.

Your use of "interpretation" was correct, my understanding of your use of the word was inadequate. I apologise for taking issue with your use of the word.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote