View Single Post
Old 5th November 2023, 09:10 AM   #7
A. G. Maisey

Yes Jean, "daunan" is a commonly used name for the Madura ladrangan, but there are variations in Madurese ladrangans, just as there are variations in Solonese & Ngayoga ladrangans , as well as the other regional variations.

As you have said "daunan" indicates leaf, but this is generic, not specific. In a Jawa wrongko the wide leaf-like part of a ladrang wrongko is called the "ron", or "godhong", which again means "leaf".

All Jawa ladrangs have this "ron", all Madura ladrang style wrongkos also have the leaf-like part, & in Madura it is called "daun", so a Madura ladrang is "daunan", ie, a wrongko with a "leaf".

Its generic, just as "Ladrangan" is generic.

The Kagok style is found in all areas of Jawa & Madura that do not wish to follow the lead of Ngoyoga & Solo, kagok wrongkos are found in Madiun, Magelang, the North Pesisir, and it is found in Madura & other places. It is not a form that originated in Solo, so it is not a sub-type of the Solonese ladrangan, it is a sub-type of the Javanese ladrangan. Some people believe it originated on the North Coast.

We could most certainly call Paul's wrongko "daunan", & that would be the same as calling it "ladrangan", Kagok, Kagok Capu, & Capu are sub-varieties of the Ladrangan form if we use Javanese, & the Daunan form if we use Madurese.

EDIT

Something just occurred to me.

The word "daun" is a Malay word, it does not occur in Javanese, nor in Old Javanese, nor Balinese for that matter.

I am not literate in Madurese, & I've seen the word "daunan" used frequently to describe the Madura ladrang, but I now doubt that this is the correct word in the indigenous language of Madura to describe the Madura Ladrang, I think that "daunan" has perhaps been coined by people who predominantly use Bahasa Indonesia in public communication, so probably educated Indonesians living adjacent to Madura, or perhaps amongst Indonesian collectors, but not amongst the Madurese people living in rural areas or who are societal elites.

Maybe we still have a way to go before we really know the correct term to use when we refer to a Madurese ladrangan wrongko.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 5th November 2023 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Afterthought
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote