View Single Post
Old 25th February 2024, 04:06 PM   #10
Triarii

Thanks all.

I have indeed been scraping together all sorts on Hounslow, however fragmentary. Benjamin Stones PR puff when he sets it up gives an idea of intended if not actual output, though the total demand of the wars vastly exceeded Hounslow so I'm still inclined to believe that import blades formed the majority of those used, though mainstream histories of the ECW just state that large amounts were imported.

C17th Birmingham I am just looking into for an idea of its volume of production, though Prince Rupert wrecked a lot of the town in April 1643 following the skirmish at Camp Hill. At least one of the premises burnt was a cutlers as the owner writes an account of the destruction.

The first use of Me Fecit Hounslow will be interesting - the format seen seems to vary, indicating that individual smiths had their own choice. Of course many Hounslow swords blades may be unmarked or have only the smiths name on the blade. As we don't have an definitive list of those smiths then anything is possible.

"The Early Basket Hilt in Britain" by Claude Blair, in "Scottish Weapons and Fortifications" (ed. David Caldwell, 1981) is an excellent book I acquired after a recommendation on here after I bought an Irish Hilt (with the blade by Wilhelm Tessche of Solingen). Far more useful than Mazansky to be honest.

I have Bezdek so will see what English makers names appear for the early to mid C17th, if any.

On the so-called Hounslow hangers, of my three, one has the crowned orb typical of German blades, another has the Passau wolf of Solingen and the third has the spurious 'Andrea Ferrara'.
Triarii is offline   Reply With Quote