Thread: 10 luk blade ?
View Single Post
Old 10th January 2009, 04:42 PM   #15
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajak
The relevant is to show that your kris is worn away and even that an rusty kris don't have the pitting and black made color on the kris like yours and that it could be that your kris had one wave more.
Well Ben, i also think i see a touch of residual rust on your properly washed ivory hilted blade.
I think we are all aware that new blades often get artificial age treatments, but frankly i personally find it rather difficult to tell based on the photo that Willem has provided. I have a few old soldiers in my collection that have pitted blades (and i am sure they have real age) so i don't think that is a fair indicator of deception. If i were to assume this is indeed an old blade i would say that it has a pamor made with non-contrasting materials which would account for the dark color of the blade over all. New blades are artificially aged for different reasons. Sometimes it is to deceive, but often it is just because it is the style, a look which is trying to be achieved. Of course, when that is the case the blade would not be eroded as badly as this one.
Since this is not a particularly rare or valuable pamor or dhapur (unless i am missing something), i see little reason why someone would purposefully do this much damage to it to try to pass it off as old. Over-washed, worn out blades like this don't usually get too much money and if it was recently made i would image the maker could get just as much if not more if the blade were pristine with less work involved. But then perhaps i am speaking from a logic that just does not apply.
David is online now   Reply With Quote