View Single Post
Old 7th March 2013, 11:48 PM   #8
PClemente

Hi David,
I will certainly take your advice regarding the National Army Museum. I am posting some photos of the gorget in question.
A number of years ago I was able to trade with a dealer in the UK for this gorget pattern that I had never seen before. Instead of the usual brass or silver gorget, this example was made of leather and bears a royal cypher in brass. Research led me to believe that the piece might be an example of a gorget pattern adapted to warfare in the colonies during the French & Indian War, by colonial ranger companies such as Rogers Rangers, or a pattern worn by certain Loyalist troops during the Revolution who were trying to avoid being targeted as officers. The insignia appears to be a cipher reversed and interlaced. Further research led me to believe that the cypher might be the royal cypher of King George II or III " reversed and interlaced " which was a device used by the First Royal Regiment of Foot which fought with distinction in the colonies during the French & Indian War. The possibilities regarding the gorget are intriguing and I would love to know who might have used such a gorget and if my conclusions (maybe wishful thinking) might be correct.

Thanks for any help and insight!
Regards,
Paul
Attached Images

PClemente is offline   Reply With Quote