View Single Post
Old 4th March 2013, 12:09 AM   #4
PClemente

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R
Just in case anyone is interested, I am a member of the Royal Armouries Support Group, we meet regularly on the last Thursday of every month, in the Library of the Royal Armouries Leeds, starting 19.30 and generaly ending about 21.00.
We are a friendly bunch of collectors of all sort of arms and armour, and meet to show off our new aquisitions or renovations and discuss related subjects.
Tonight I will be giving a talk on the English Longbow. I should have posted something ages ago, but at least I remembered today.
Hi David,

I envy you chaps! This site is a great source for communication and research among collectors, but it would be great to be able to get together with fellow enthusiasts on a regular basis! On another note I was wondering if any from amongst your group is knowledgeable in regards to British militaria of the Revolutionary War period. The reason I am asking is that I have a leather gorget featuring what appears to be the royal cipher interlaced and reversed in brass. I have been told that the gorget was an example of an adaptation of the traditional brass or silver gorget as a result of combat conditions in the colonies during the French & Indian War and Revolution. In reaction to the need for better camouflage and targeting of officers I have read that some officers in ranger battalions and in Loyalist regiments might have used such devices, but have yet to find much literature supporting this idea, or additional examples besides my own. The feedback i have received on this site is great, but I would really like to obtain additional opinions that could lead me in the right direction, and possibly even help me nail down a particular group that used such gorgets.

Thanks!
Paul
PClemente is offline   Reply With Quote