View Single Post
Old 6th July 2016, 04:31 PM   #5
Bob A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancar
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon." - Napoleon Bonaparte
History is also the story of conflict written by the winner.

That said, there is documentation available, written by interested or uninvolved third party sources, which is subject to cross-checking by those knowledgeable in that art.

The siege of Troy was long thought to be mythic, until the actual site was found and excavated. (Of course, Homer knew the tale as reality. But even that is problematic; my Greek teacher told me that those epics were not written by Homer, but by another Greek with the same name.)

We can only approximate historical truth - even the immediate and contemporary is open to question; see today's newspapers. But making an honest effort is always worthwhile, and can be informative in many dimensions, some quite unexpected.

I personally have little experience in the subjects under study here, but even a few years' exposure has brought me to a point where I can detect the more obvious errors and anomalies. There's more than a little merit in long experience, but a thoughtful examination of the source of data, and a certain skepticism, is part of the process.

Those are my thoughts. I doubt they'll contain answers, but that wasn't the object of the exercise, of course.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote