View Single Post
Old 18th July 2007, 09:52 AM   #191
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepokal
... Again I reiterate, it is not the artistic form that come first into making a Malay keris. First and foremost, it is a weapon.
Greetings sepokal...
Hmmm... I re-read through my post again and I was wondering... did I ever mentioned or imply that artistic form comes first? Please re-read my post... what I've said was... if you look you'll find an artistic expression... crude but it's there. Keris in the Malay world is first and foremost a weapon, period.

Quote:
Artistic impression and artistitic interpretation is based on those who views it and as they say, Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. What you call artistic, is not to some. While you consider the extreme curves on a keris to be beautiful, some might not view it so.
True, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... so don't assume what I deem as beautiful... If other do not find it artistic, so be it... no harm done. Each is entitled to their own opinion.

Quote:
Regarding Keris Majapahit. Have you ever seen a real keris Majapahit? Read again what Bambang says about keris Majapahit / Keris Sajen.

"Keris sajen dibuat khusus untuk keperluan sesaji tetapi ada yang menyebutnya sebagai keris Majapahit padahal keris Majapahit bentuknya indah dan mutunya tinggi, tidak sederhana seperti keris Sajen."

in English, "Keris Sajen is made especially for "sesaji" but some calls it Keris Majapahit while that is not so as keris Majapahit is much more beautiful and of higher quality as compared to keris Sesaji".
I suggest you don't inscribe what was mentioned in Ensiklopedi Keris into stone. Take it with a large dose of salt.

Quote:
My question is, then, what really is keris Majapahit? How does it looks like?
Maybe you should ask Javanese collectors... Pak Ganjawulung and Hidayat comes to mind...

Quote:
The last Majapahit kingdom was located in what we called Kelantan right now.
Hmmm... interesting... sorry my history is a bit 'rusty'. Perhaps someone else would like to comment...

Quote:
There is nothing disturbing about Islam and Keris. Why is such thoughts, exist I wonder? Disturbing to Islam or that to Keris?
Hmmm... kindly re-read my post and try to understand it, please.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 18th July 2007 at 11:01 AM.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote