View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2015, 04:24 PM   #25
Alam Shah

Default Muslim method

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Alam, I have very probably read all of the little books on keris of which you speak, as well as many more written sources, published, unpublished, old, and new. Most, if not all, of these printed sources do not provide wholly accurate information. The mantras that are published are published in a form that is sufficient to lead those who do not already know the mantras to believe that the writer does in fact know the mantras.

There is something else about the use of a mantra also:- in the absence of the correct mindset, any mantra is only so many empty words. Only those who are entitled to know a mantra do know it, and how to use it. It is not something for the uninitiated.

It has been claimed, and this is probably true, that a knowledgeable Javanese person does not write a book to impart knowledge to those people who lack the knowledge, he writes a book to raise his own profile to a level where he is acknowledged as a person who knows. The rationale is very simple:-
Knowledge = money = power

Nobody but an abject fool gives away money and/or power.
Hi Alan, thanks for sharing. Agreed with what you've mentioned in most parts. In the course of studying the occult arts under a few teachers' tutelage, a common point is a vow of secrecy and then bounded by it. Some of my notable teachers include a Javanese, a Bugis and a Malay. Teaching me a range of different practices, point of view and rituals limited within my belief system.

After 3 decades, I've learnt much but however, I'm still a student. The difference is now I'm aware of the vast knowledge that I still do not know and will most likely will never know. The Primbons are seldom mentioned in javanese keris books.

I do somewhat agree with your opinion on many current existing keris books but there are of course the exceptional ones. Outside Java, there are many other keris cultures, like the Bugis, Sumatran, Borneo and Peninsular Malaya to name a few where it have evolved with the times. In these regions, keris are also imbued by their makers for specific keris, not for all keris as it is in Java. Only its method and rituals vary.

As for the mantras, I'm aware of the cleansing ritual, body and mind conditioning and its rituals (be it tapa brata, mutih, pati geni, etc) to get the rights to use them or bestowed with empowerment. I'll stop here.

Coming back to the initial question regarding the muslim way. According to Islamic beliefs, only God can create spirits hence one will seek from God (Allah the Almighty) to bestow power upon it. The rituals includes a prayer, recitation of holy verses and chanting to God with a specific focus on intent.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote